[X4U] AppleCare (UK)

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Oct 20 04:00:24 PDT 2004

<rant>

What a shabby, sorry process.

I have a 12" PowerBook and the hook for its magnetic catch has just
fallen off. As I transport the machine every day, being able to close
the lid is reasonably important - so I thought I'd get it fixed under
my AppleCare warranty.

I've been on the phone for circa 45 minutes trying to book this in.
This is on a national rate phone call. First time round I gave up
having been on hold for so long. Having eventually booked in the
PowerBook for repairs, I understand that a box will be delivered
"tomorrow or the next day" and that the repair will take around 10 days
- "It may take a little longer, it may take a little less". Of course
there's no guarantee that Apple will fix this relatively trivial
problem within any defined time period. Meanwhile, my primary work
machine is out of action.

</rant>

Apple positions itself as a premium brand for which one pays a premium
price. While I like Macs and love the OS, frequently I feel as if I'm
fighting the tide by going with a non-Windows machine. In many ways, my
life would be far easier, and probably more profitable, by just giving
in and going with the flow (Windows). Experiences such as this one just
reinforce this perception.

Apple's availability and service in the UK is abysmal.

I'm off to buy a PC portable (possibly).

Simon Forster