[X4U] Suggestions on UPS Battery Solutions & Software

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Apr 8 12:14:07 PDT 2005

Rod Duncan said:

>What he needs is protection from spikes, brownouts etc. with a
>reliable battery UPS system that will automatically kick into battery
>mode and then allow a "software controlled shutdown". While there are
>lots of battery UPS systems available. (I like Belkin for price
>performance)
>
>What software is available to allow an automatic shutdown in OSX?
>Most software is designed to automatically reboot the system and keep
>it up and running for servers etc. He just wants to be able to have
>it safely shut down from emergency battery power after a
>predetermined length of time, such as 20 minutes, if the main power
>doesn't return.
>
>Suggestions for software in OSX for this?

I have a Belkin UPS.   I've had it for a few years now, and it has been
as reliable as a rock.

I exclusively used APC UPS's for many years, but when I purchased my last
APC UPS I soon realized that APC now leaves off AVR (automatic voltage
regulation) on what I would call their consumer-class models ($100 or
less).  In fact, while using that last APC UPS that I purchased, every
time that I turned on my laser printer (which was not attached to the
UPS) there was a sag in the power that caused my Macintosh to shut down
despite being attached to the APC UPS!  I returned the APC and got a
Belkin.  The Belkin was cheaper, with better specs and features, and it
includes AVR, which I consider to be something that a UPS should not be
without.

Here is the 800VA Belkin UPS for only $88:

<http://www.trendsandgadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=3683&ad=fr100
3683>

If you need unattended shutdown software, Belkin has that available for
free for OS X, including Panther, for use with their UPS's.

Bulldog Plus for OS X
<http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?download=F6C100-UNV&la
ng=1&mode=>

or