[X4U] Getting spotlight to index where it usually doesn't

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Dec 4 08:25:42 PST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 10:03 AM, x4u-
request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> So I have some log files from an application that are written into a
> directory  in ~/Library/Application Support/Logs
>
> This is not a directory that Spotlight indexes normally.  And is not
> an option to Activate in the spotlight preferences.
>
> Is there some way I could psyche out Spotlight to index this ~/
> Library/Application Support/Logs directory.
>
> I tried creating an alias of the "Logs" directory and putting it into
> my ~/Documents directory.   But that didn't seem to help.  Now It's
> been since earlier today that I created this Alias. Is it possible
> Spotlight hasn't checked on it yet ?  or should it be immediate if
> it's going to work at all ?
>
> Any suggestions would appreciated.
>
> Kansas

Howdy, the command

mdimport -f ~/Library/Application\ Support/Logs

in Terminal should do the job. You might also want to try
SpotlightIndexer, especially if you are Terminal fearful. In either
case this is a one time thing. If the contents of that directory
changes rapidly this won't help much. I use this for indexing
directories that don't change rapidly.

Since Spotlight is a young feature I suspect we'll see an Add Tab
(like the Privacy Tab) in a future OS release.
Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)