[X4U] Getting spotlight to index where it usually doesn't

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 10:31:05 PST 2005

On 12/03/05, Kansas Territory <kansast at mac.com> wrote:

> So I have some log files from an application that are written into a
> directory  in ~/Library/Application Support/Logs

That's one strange application. Those should go into ~/Library/Logs/. Maybea
note to the app developer is in order.

> This is not a directory that Spotlight indexes normally.  And is not
> an option to Activate in the spotlight preferences.
>
> Is there some way I could psyche out Spotlight to index this ~/
> Library/Application Support/Logs directory.
>
> I tried creating an alias of the "Logs" directory and putting it into
> my ~/Documents directory.   But that didn't seem to help.  Now It's
> been since earlier today that I created this Alias. Is it possible
> Spotlight hasn't checked on it yet ?  or should it be immediate if
> it's going to work at all ?
>
> Any suggestions would appreciated.

See the manpage for mdimport.

Try something like: mdimport -f ~/Library/Application\ Support/Logs/ (you might
have to invoke sudo). Untested and use at your own risk.

For more on reconfiguring Spotlight, see "Configure Spotlight to index excluded
directories" at <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005050222125145>.