[X4U] Disk Utility Problem...

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 4 11:22:15 PST 2005

>From: revDAVE <coolcat at hosting4days.com>
>  I have 2 systems on separate partitions
>-  partition 1 = 10.4.3
>-  partition 2 =  Panther 10.3.9
>  I want to keep this set up like this for now.
>-  from  Tiger - using partition 1 - I am unable to click the button =
>repair disk for partition 2
>  error = " repairing disk failed with the error - could not unmount disk"
>  I have a feeling that somehow there must be some alias related links that
>are somehow active between the two partitions ( read below...)
>-  I know that I can boot up with the installer disk - and run repair disk
>from there -  But I would like to fix this error somehow...
>
>* Question: How can I fix this error? ( an absolute last resort would be to
>reinstall a clean copy ... Only if all else fails...)
>
>* history information: originally - I had Panther 10.3.9 on partition one
>and did a carbon copy cloner to partition 2 ( As a backup). Then - I
>upgraded partition one to the latest tiger 10.4.3

That'll be the key.

CCC makes a duplicate. Aliases are links to disc objects using a disc
object ID which is unique. A copied alias still points to the
original object unlike a Unix link, which points to a file on the
same partition, or a Unix symbolic link, which points to a pathname.
Any object loaded via an alias will be the copy on the original
partition and so lock the disc mount.

To avoid needing a re-install you would have to find all the aliases
that point to the original partition and replace them with aliases to
the equivalent object on the new partition. I havn't noticed a way of
doing that, but there probably is one.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk