[X4U] Piano replacement via (wireless) Garageband. M-Audio Keystation 88es.

Jon Marett jmarett at mac.com
Wed Dec 21 06:15:12 PST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 3:34 AM, B. Kuestner wrote:

> My dear wife loves to play the piano. And I love for her to play
> the piano so I can listen. We have the money to buy a piano, too.
> But we lack the space. (Yes, Germany, land of small appartments.)
>
> Now I was thinking of getting reasonably priced equipment for her
> to use a keyboard together with Garageband, a Mac and a stereo. The
> problem here: This very technical setup should feel as natural as
> possible. I was thinking of connecting a keyboard to the Mac, then
> use Airport an Airport Express BaseStation to connect to our
> stereo. Does this sound reasonable at all? Will it sound fair enough?
>
> - One thing I am concerned about: I could not find documentation
> that Airport Express works with Garageband, too, and not just with
> iTunes. Could somebody with Garageband and Airport Express confirm
> that I can stream live audio to my stereo this way?
>
> - I am an absolute newbie to this, but after some looking around it
> seemed like the M-Audio Keystation 88es gives a good value for the
> money, plus ease of use, because the USB cable serves both for the
> music signals and for powering the keyboard. Any comments on that?
> What about the pedals?
>
> - Is anybody on this list using Garageband as a piano replacement
> and has some general advice?
>
> Any input welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Björn

I  have the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro which is a breeze to setup and
use. I'm not sure about the specs on the 'es' version, but I use a $30
(us) foot pedal for sustain. It connects directly to the keyboard via
1/4" plug and works well. I have also used this pedal with an M-Audio
Radium 61 keyboard. Despite the size and weight, I prefer the full
size and weighted keys of the 88 Pro.

While Garage Band is fine (and the right price), I also second the
recommendation to get Reason <http://www.propellerheads.se/>. I have
a free copy of the 'lite' version (called Reason Adapted) that came
with my audio interface (M-Audio FireWire 410). No, I don't work for
M-Audio, but have been happy with their products so far.

i am still looking for a nice simple program/utility to use the
keyboard for just playing. Loading Garage Band, Reason, or whatever
audio application seems like overkill for those times when I just
want to sit down and play. Ideally I'd like to have a menulet that
allows me to select some basic keyboard options at anytime and avoid
having to launch any program at all.

jon

"Be the change that you want to see in the world."
-Mohandas Gandhi