[X4U] iPod dead - help!!

Brian P. Minnebo brian at minnebo.net
Thu Jan 20 08:37:07 PST 2005

> I am so bummed. I formatted my Mac-formatted iPod (3G, 40 gig) as a
> PC drive so I could copy some files over to my mother's PC. I thought
> I'd keep it in Windows format for convenience, but got frustrated
> with filenames like "Icon" being illegal as far as the Windows format
> went, so I formatted it back to Mac, with Disk Utility. It went fine
> and I copied over 10 gig of files -- all was well.
>
> Lo and behold, my iPod decided to die when I unplugged it. Now all
> that happens is, the iPod shows the Apple screen as it makes several
> chunking noises. I've tried resetting it (holding menu and play) but
> it rarely resets, and usually just sits there -- at no time will it
> mount or show the iPod menu or play music. I can't run Apple's reset
> utility because it won't ever mount on the computer (Mac or PC).

Reboot it again (play+select, menu+play?), when the apple screen comes on hold down back and forward arrows simultaneously.  This will put it in firewire mode, so then it will mount when you plug the firewire into your mac.

Then you can do the ipod software updater to get it back into working iPod shape.

This just happened to my brother, he used his ipod to back up his old harddrive, then installed a new bigger hardrive.  He had to do the above to get his data back off the pod, and then get it working again.

Brian