[X4U] OT - Unscientific Speed Test - PC-Mac-FileMaker

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Thu Jul 14 16:24:38 PDT 2005

Currently, I am temporarily in possession of 2 PC laptop computers so -
while I have them I thought I would do a quick unscientific speed test
comparison with my Mac G4 Dual 1.25...

- So I loaded the exact same FileMaker database in 3 computers

- Fujitsu 1.7 Centrino laptop
- Toshiba 3.2 Pentium 4 (not m series - just plain) laptop
- Mac G4 dual 1.25 desktop

 I loaded up a FileMaker script that basically looped through  400 records
doing a very simple procedure on each and then stopping at the end...

Well - guess which one won?

THE Fujitsu 1.7 Centrino ! - big surprise to me!

The Fujitsu screen resolution defaults at 1024x768 -  so I made the other
two computers have the same screen resolution also (in case that
mattered)...

looping  400 records in filemaker 6

Centrino 1.7 = 20 sec
Pentium 4 3.2 = 25 sec (RUFF)
dual 1.25 mac = 35 sec

Then, to pursue the matter a bit more, I wrote a simple counting loop ( that
does not use the screen at all - just the processor...)

loop 1 to 20000 in filemaker 6...

centrino 1.7 = 10 sec
pentium 4 3.2 = 12 sec
dual 1.25 mac = 19 sec

I'm shocked ... Are you? Why is the Centrino Faster than the Pentium? I had
no idea that both PC's were so much faster than My Mac Dual 1.25 g4!

--

Thanks: dave B O R U F F

revDAVE at MuseNet.Com  -  http://www.MuseNet.Com
[db-05]