[X4U] OT - Unscientific Speed Test - PC-Mac-FileMaker

Edward Hillenbrand contact at verticaleye.net
Thu Jul 14 17:26:59 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:24 PM, revDAVE wrote:

> looping  400 records in filemaker 6
>
> Centrino 1.7 = 20 sec
> Pentium 4 3.2 = 25 sec (RUFF)
> dual 1.25 mac = 35 sec
>
> Then, to pursue the matter a bit more, I wrote a simple counting
> loop ( that
> does not use the screen at all - just the processor...)
>
> loop 1 to 20000 in filemaker 6...
>
> centrino 1.7 = 10 sec
> pentium 4 3.2 = 12 sec
> dual 1.25 mac = 19 sec
>
> I'm shocked ... Are you? Why is the Centrino Faster than the
> Pentium? I had
> no idea that both PC's were so much faster than My Mac Dual 1.25 g4!

Interesting comparison.  I wouldn't concluded that the PCs are faster
based on this.  You have perhaps shown that the Windows version of
FileMaker is faster than the Mac version, but I wouldn't even say
that without a little extra data.  Could you reply with how much of
the CPU FileMaker was using on each computer during each test?