[X4U] Fixed! (was Directory Failure)

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Wed Jul 20 21:23:35 PDT 2005

Thanks to Zane & Silvo for their input.

On Jul 19, 2005, at 9:33 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> I haven't had much time to do much checking, but when I boot from my
>> FireWire drive, the folders seem to be intact. But, again, I haven't
>> checked too carefully. Any advice on how I should proceed from here?
>> Unfortunately, I didn't have a complete backup. In fact, there are
>> quite a number of iTunes Store downloads not backed up, and quite a
>> number of photos.
>>
>> Anyway, any advice is welcome.
>>

> Based on a bad experience I had recently I'd recommend getting as
> much data
> as you can copied off of the HD before attempting any sort of
> repair.  Then
> have a look around and see if you can find anything you've forgotten.
>
> I could have most likely recovered most, if not all of my data had
> I not
> tried to repair the disk prior to making sure *everything* had been
> saved.
> Of course part of my problem was that the disk was physically bad :^(

I had already tried DiskWarrior. But, I went out and bought a Lacie
Drive the same size as the internal. I tried backing everything up
with CCC. I had to skip some invisible file in the Library and then
it choked on another invisible file called lost + found (how ironic).
Anyway, I decided to do an Archive & Install onto the Lacie first as
a test. Worked just fine. After running the updates and repairing
permissions I cloned back to the internal. Everything seems to work.
I had to reinstall some apps like Final Cut Pro, but all in all, it
seems to be OK. And now I have a backup on the Lacie which I will
regularly update.

Thanks again for the input guys,
Daniel