[X4U] no startup after last update

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Mon Jun 27 11:42:15 PDT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Kansas Territory wrote:

> PowerMac G4/450   has been running fine for years, update after
> update.

> I was running OSX10.4      one of the updates it wanted to install
> was 10.4.1 , also a quicktime update, I think a security update ?
> and maybe an iTunes update ..  anyway I told them all to install.
> installation finished, asked if I wanted to restart.  I clicked
> restart.   now the computer just gets to a gray screen with the
> Apple logo in the middle, and never progresses beyond that.

Same happened to me on my 17-inch Powerbook after 32 days without a
restart.

> I tried starting up with the "s" key held down.. I thought this
> would start it in simple mode or what ever it's called.  but that
> did nothing, same gray screen.

Kansas, you need to hold down command-s to enter single user mode.
It might give you a hint as to why the update caused the problem, or
it might not.  You can try fscking the drive in single user mode, you
can try to repair permissions via OS X install CD.  I tried these and
there was no change.  I figured it would take more time to figure out
the exact cause and try to fix it than to just archive and
reinstall.   35 minutes later I had a working 10.4 install, then
updates to 10.4.1, etc. , worked fine.  1 other of the 30-odd
computers I support had the same problem. (Yes, we repaired
permissions prior to the update).

Sorry.  Maybe someone here can troubleshoot you back to a working
system, but it's my bet that you'll save time by just archiving and
reinstalling.

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 2.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.1
pkrug at mac.com