[X4U] Publisher files on Mac

Randy Jamerson rjamerson at ebsco.com
Fri Mar 11 08:46:02 PST 2005

True, but if you know how to make a PDF, you're probably too smart to use
Publisher anyway :)

If you go back to the original post, it was stated that a customer had
supplied a Publisher file that they had received from some other unknown
source.  Evidently, none of the parties involved had Publisher available, so
it would have been impossible to make it into a PDF without finding a PC
with Publisher on it.  They wanted some way to convert it on the Mac.

On 3/11/05 10:18 AM, "Paul Moortgat" <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:

> I fyou can save the files as a PDF instead of Publisher, you're off the
> hook.
>
> Paul Moortgat
>
> On 11 Mar 2005, at 16:31, Randy Jamerson wrote:
>
>> Another thing you may want to consider.
>>
>> About 40% of our work is PC.  All of our operators have Macs and PC's.
>>  We
>> never convert files cross platform.  (PC Quark stays PC Quark, PC
>> InDesign
>> stays PC InDesign).
>>
>> Although it is possible for printers to convert many files cross
>> platform,
>> you are probably spending a lot of labor hours fixing font reflows and
>> other
>> problem that happen when you convert PC to Mac.
>>
>> You could probably justify the cost of a PC and related software based
>> on
>> the labor you would save, the accuracy and the fact that you could
>> actually
>> return files to your customers that they could open.  (I know of many
>> printers who convert their customers files to Mac, edit them, and then
>> cannot give a usable file back to their customer).
>>
>> You know what kind of work you get, but for us, it would be terribly
>> inefficient for us to try to convert everything to Mac "just because
>> it is
>> possible" and because we hate the PC  (which we do, by the way).
>>

>> On 3/11/05 9:16 AM, "Samantha Cornell" <samantha at netresults.biz> wrote:
>>
>>> Randy,
>>>
>>> You are right, it is not an expensive program, but the entire
>>> PC/Publisher setup is cost prohibitive, when considering that the only
>>> benefit that I would gain would be the ability to open Publisher
>>> files.
>>>
>>> Maybe someday, but as a sole proprietor, I just can't justify it.
>>>
>>> Thanks...
>>>
>>> Samantha

Randy Jamerson .  Prepress Systems Administrator
EBSCO Media
801 Fifth Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Office. 205.226.9557