[X4U] Thoughts on Spotlight?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 09:44:37 PDT 2005

On 5/1/05 9:20 AM, David Flory <daflory at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> So far I find it most useful when invoked with Command-F. The "other"
> search criterion gives you about 144 different seach data types you
> can specify. It may not be exactly what some expected/want but it
> hasn't failed to find anything I've searched for, yet.

Maybe I haven't figured out how to use it right. Explain the following
disparity:

I type Command-F and a new Finder search window appears.
I set the location to my startup disk, Volume "Tanooki Mario"
I set Size=Greater than=5000=KB
      Created=Today
      Visibility=Visible or Invisible

While setting up those options, a list of files appears that match the first
one or two. After all the options are set the disk thrashes for a while and
finally lists 0 items as the result.

VERSUS

On a Panther computer on my network, I connect to Volume "Tanooki Mario"
I type Command-F and the Find dialog box appears
I select Tanooki Mario in the Specific Places
I set Size=is greater than=5000KB
      Date Created=is today
      Visibility=visible and invisible items

The results window appears and after only about 5 seconds, I get a final
result of 2 files that match the search exactly: a swap file and a .qtch
file that was cached by Safari.

How is it that Tiger cannot find files that Panther can?

I then do a search in Tiger where the only criteria is
      Name Extension=qtch

Results=0

The same search with Panther reveals there are 18 items with extension .qtch

WTF?! It's now harder for me to find files in Tiger than it was in Panther!
If someone can solve this problem for me, please do!

Eddie Hargreaves