[X4U] Thoughts on Spotlight?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 12:41:59 PDT 2005

On 5/1/05 11:17 AM, Robert Ameeti <Robert at Ameeti.net> wrote:

>>> The 18 .qtch files are located in my user Library folder. Even just
>>> selecting the Library and typing qtch in the Finder window's Search bar
>>> shows 0 results.
>>
>> Most people do not typically want to search their Library folder
>> (according to Apple.) Most users want to find applications and
>> documents.
>>
>> You might want to index more of your hard drive than is typically
>> done. Your choice.

Are you saying the ~/Library directory is not indexed? This is where
Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Fonts (and much more) are located. Spotlight
certainly finds these files.

Heck, if I just type in "doc" it finds a PDF called
read0600mac_ENUadbe0010.pdf located at ~/Library/Acrobat User
Data/Messages/ENU/

I can't even open that PDF in Preview or Acrobat Reader 7 because it's
password protected. Yet Spotlight found "doc" somewhere inside of it.

> Or just use the Others... button in the Search window to tell the
> system that you specifically want to search those folders. They are
> excluded by default but you can add any directory to the Servers,
> Computer, Home choices.

I already mentioned that I searched specifically in ~/Library
The brushed metal bar that lists Servers, Computer, and Home has a depressed
metal area around Folder "Library"

I'm not sure how many more hoops I need to jump through to do a couple of
simple searches that Panther/Jaguar/Mac OS 8.5 had no trouble with.

Eddie Hargreaves