[X4U] Thoughts on Spotlight?

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Sun May 1 15:23:49 PDT 2005

>  > Have you tried:
>>  sudo mdimport -f /System/Library/
>>  Seems to work for me. What can't it find after indexing that directory?
>
>I'll try that trick after getting and installing the GM; hopefully,
>tomorrow. However, that option should be available in Spotlight and
>users shouldn't be forced into using the CLI. That's the same
>nonsensical
>"engineering" decision that removed the "disable journaling" tool
>from Disk Utility and forces people to use the CLI diskutil tool.
>For Apple to offer a UI application, which uses the CLI tools, and
>then cripple it is IMHO unconscionable behavior on their part.

Huh? Apple has learned that people muck with the System folder and
then cry. For the very few that need to search it, the capability is
there. Better to leave the dangerous tools out of the toolbox that
every user gets by default.

Apple has also watched people turn off journaling when they shouldn't
be. Way too many people do things just because they can without any
real understanding of what the result will be. Apple has been very
successful at creating a computer that 'just works'. They do this by
making it a bit more difficult to break than the dark side computers.
If you or I decide to search and destroy in our System folder, we are
less likely to whine to the world about what we did when we do it.
We'll quietly go get a Firewire drive, boot from it, and fix our boo
boo. Kinda like last night when i removed the Roman.bundle keyboard
layout. Way too many people would complain that it was named wrong
and that it shouldn't be named using the 'Roman' term. They'd hate
that their keyboard no longer worked and would cry to the world. I
was smart enough to laugh at myself.
--

Robert Ameeti

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is statistics.

- Josef Stalin