[X4U] Tuning Tiger

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Tue May 3 12:11:13 PDT 2005

At 11:43 AM -0700, 5/3/05, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>  > Well then, I guess the answer would depend on the applications that
>>  you use, the size of the files that you edit, or the sizes of the
>>  databases that you want to load, and the thickness of your wallet.
>
>Please pardon my frustration, maybe I'm being dense here, but what I'm
>trying to do is get a realistic idea of how much the applications think I'm
>using.

>Personally I've never seen a system as RAM hungry as Mac OS X gives the
>impression of being, and this has been a source of irritation to me ever
>since I moved off of Mac OS 9 a couple years ago.
>
>			Zane

Yes, we are only going to get the benefits of OS X by providing it
with a lot more memory than the OS of yesterday.

Try using MenuMeters
<http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/>. With this tool,
you can see graphically in your menu that amount of free and used
memory along with the pageouts. This should tell you what your real
needs are based on actual use.

Do note that the addition of memory typically only changes the speed
at which things get done, not whether or not the answer will be
correct. And the value of a user's time will always be subjective.
--

Robert Ameeti

Good friends stab you in the front.