[X4U] Tuning Tiger

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue May 3 12:32:41 PDT 2005

> Yes, we are only going to get the benefits of OS X by providing it
> with a lot more memory than the OS of yesterday.

I'm really not going to totally buy that...  There seems to be a lot of waste
tucked away in there.  Granted, a fair amount is no doubt due to the "gooey"
GUI.  Another problem is the shift from being a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS
can result in a fairly large jump in memory usage.

> Try using MenuMeters
> <http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/>. With this tool,
> you can see graphically in your menu that amount of free and used
> memory along with the pageouts. This should tell you what your real
> needs are based on actual use.

Hmm, I like the looks of this!  I'll have to install it as soon as I can.

> Do note that the addition of memory typically only changes the speed
> at which things get done, not whether or not the answer will be
> correct. And the value of a user's time will always be subjective.

Trust me, I'm aware of this.  I'm wanting to get it so that I don't have to
wait so long for applications to swap back into RAM.

			Zane