[X4U] Tuning Tiger

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Tue May 3 20:09:56 PDT 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 2:43 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Please pardon my frustration, maybe I'm being dense here, but what I'm
> trying to do is get a realistic idea of how much the applications
> think I'm
> using.  Do I simply bog the system down as much as I expect it to be
> normally, do a "du -sk /var/vm", and then go out and buy that much
> Physical
> RAM, or should I be doing something else.

I think you're being a wee bit dense, only in that you're worrying
about system calls at a level below where the OS is expecting you to
care about it.  Sure, on Solaris you're expecting to know and deal
with this.  Here, only if you want to.

I run my PowerBook with 1 Gb of RAM since that was the max when I got
it, and I haven't yet felt the need to pick up bigger chips.  Trust
me, I'm a power user -- not uncommon for me to have 30 apps open
simultaneously.  When MenuMeters tells me I'm seriously thrashing, I
log out and log back in.  I'm already noting that Tiger will probably
be much more efficient at this, since it seems to be releasing VM
much better than Panther did.

IOW, I don't agree with you that Macs are more RAM-hungry (although I
don't have other Unix flavors as a reference).  If your system is
running slow, get more.  Simple enough, no?

Best,
Jeff