[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Jim Warthman jim.warthman at affinity-systems-inc.com
Thu May 5 19:45:43 PDT 2005

On 2005-05-05 2:12 PM, "Alex" <lists at lexial.ca> wrote:

> What you need to do is this. Get the musically richest and best
> recorded source you can. Encode it with various encoders and different
> settings. Listen to it on the best audio system available to you.
> Decide which settings sound best to you, and use them. Or, to be on the
> safe side, use the next setting up the scale.

Or simply rip with ALE - which is what I do. Yes, it takes more space, but
hard drive space is pretty inexpensive these days, and ALE totally avoids
all the issues of bit rates, encoder quality, etc.

Also, if you like to stream to a hi-fi system via Airport Express, and use
the optical interface from the Airport to the hi-fi system, ALE is great.
That's because iTunes will convert whatever your music format is to ALE,
then the Airport Express will convert ALE to a bit stream compatible with
the hi-fi. That way, your music stays totally digital (and in its original
CD-quality) all the way from your CD to the D-to-A converter of your hi-fi.
Sweet!

Enjoy!

-- Jim