[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Stephen Mackenzie stephen.mackenzie at connectfree.co.uk
Fri May 6 10:08:54 PDT 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 00:11, revDAVE wrote:

> ... Still curious what people on this list are using...

iTunes AAC at 192. A compromise between quality (good enough) and disc
space (limited!).

iBook 500 rips at about 2.5 times real time (but the optical drive is
so poor that I get massive clicking, especially towards the end of
tracks, sigh).

266 beige G3 in the spare room (XPostFacto, 10.3.9, mmm) goes about 1.7
and doesn't click.

I've fooled around a little with AIFF (my iPod can't play it back
reliably) higher rates (doesn't sound much better, but does sound
better), and the "Best" setting for MP4 in QuickTime (might sound a
little better, but is tedious to do.)

SM

Only with the recent development of protective nets and greenhouses
were we able to defeat the thrushes.