[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

FC Farwell frankfarwell at mac.com
Fri May 6 06:05:24 PDT 2005

On May 5, 2005, at 9:46 PM, x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Neil <Lists at mac.com>
>
>> ... Still curious what people on this list are using...
>
> AAC in iTunes at 128.  I'm more curious about people's encoding speed.
> used to get 9x on my old G4 under Mac o/s 9.  I just ripped a bunch of
> CD's
> last week and only got 1x.

If im importing mp3 i use NMP3 ripper I get up to a little above 10X
IIRC lame is a better encoder for mp3 and is slower then AAC. Using
iTunes AAC 224 setting I achieve up to 18x toward the end of a rip that
starts about 12x.  This is on a Dual G4 MDD. CD drives can be a
limiting factor too. My Apple branded Phillips CD-RW drive rips faster
then my Pioneer DVR 105 drive.

FC Farwell