[X4U] Maintaining Tiger

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun May 8 00:27:48 PDT 2005

On 05/07/05, Kevin Willis <res19rmg at verizon.net> wrote:

> Can someone recommend either a maintenance program or a maintenance
> routine for keeping Tiger running smooth?  I liked Onyx, but it is
> not ready for Tiger yet, from what I have read.  I guess I need to
> keep all my caches emptied etc.

Two ways. Automatically-leave your machine on 24/7.

Manually. Here're the simple maintenance routines Apple runs for you. Open
the Terminal application in /Apps/Utilities, type these in, hit the return
key, enter your password (it won't be displayed), and hit return again. [If
you run them one after another, you'll probably only be asked for the
password once-it's good for five minutes (default).]

Daily: $sudo periodic daily (takes about two or three minutes)

Weekly: $sudo periodic weekly (takes about fifteen minutes rebuilding the
locate database)

Monthly: $ sudo periodic monthly (takes about 10 seconds)

When they're finished, you can read what they did by typing in the Terminal
window:

cat /var/log/daily.out
cat /var/log/weekly.out
cat /var/log/monthly.out

The only caches I'd worry about are those asssociated with Safari. For
those Safari->Empty Cache.

Just my 2¢.