[X4U] Malware for Mac...

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Mon May 9 09:09:55 PDT 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> And the Macintosh chortled some more, becau... oh, hang on... no,
>> they didn't. <http://stephan.com/widgets/zaptastic/>
>>
> OK, this makes something I've been wondering about more important.
> How does one go about disabling "Dashboard" on a system?  I was
> wanting to disable it as a waste of system resources, but now I'm
> also wanting to disable it as a security risk.

Wouldn't just unchecking the "Open safe files" box in Safari also do
this?  Or using a different web browser?  Widgets are just like any
downloadable program - if any malware is executed by a user, it could
hose their user space.  The security issue here is that if the "open
safe files" box is checked in the Safari prefs, a widget will auto-
install into dashboard, not dashboard itself.

As for wasting system resources, it's strange that even with
Dashboard running with about 7 widgets, my system is still running
much faster than with Panther.  Maybe I should chalk it up to the
erase/install I did with Tiger...

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 2.0 on Mac OS X 10.4
pkrug at mac.com