[X4U] Malware for Mac...

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon May 9 14:42:49 PDT 2005

> In some ways this isn't a Big Deal - it's easy to disable, Apple'll fix
> it soon, and there are unlikely to be many serious 'sploits taking
> advantage of it - but it's a great demonstration to those who say Macs
> are inherently more secure than PCs.

I'm going to have to disagree.

For starters it's easy to disable *IF* you're aware of it, and are
technically savvy enough.  There is a good chance that most Mac users won't
be aware of it, and some aren't savvy enough to disable it without some
serious coaching.

How serious the exploits will be, remain to be seen.

However, none of this is why I find this so serious.  What really gets me is
that Apple did something this *STUPID*!!!  This strikes me as a serious lack
of thinking about security.  This is the exact same thing we've been
laughing at Windows users for using MS Outlook and IE for years.

I've never considered Mac OS X to be that secure, but this...

		Zane