[X4U] Malware for Mac...

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon May 9 14:19:07 PDT 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 8:55 pm, Matt Gregory wrote:

> For newbies, like me, what kind of possible malware widgets could be
> downloaded in 10.3.9?  I thought what was being pointed out was a risk
> in using dashboard, which is a 10.4 thing.  I understand the "Open
> safe files" vulnerability now and will turn it off as soon as I get
> home, but I didn't think much of it because none of the "safe" file
> types seemed like possible vulnerabilities...

Try the link: <http://stephan.com/widgets/zaptastic/>

The author describes & provides more than one sample widget which
exploits this behaviour. They're all fairly benign & he describes how
to remove them.

"Ho, ho!" chortled the Macintosh users, "we'd never have to delve into
a folder like ~/Library/Widgets/ or reboot our computers to disable a
program."

I'm pretty confident that Apple will fix this in 10.4.1 - these widgets
show the sort of classic behaviour that malware has done on the PC for
several years now: persistent referrals to a marketing webpage &
pornographic images that are difficult (impossible for the uninitiated
user) to get rid of. You probably *don't* want to run the Goatse.cx
widget - it's not very pleasant. Human curiosity being what it is - I
told you so.

In some ways this isn't a Big Deal - it's easy to disable, Apple'll fix
it soon, and there are unlikely to be many serious 'sploits taking
advantage of it - but it's a great demonstration to those who say Macs
are inherently more secure than PCs.

Stroller.