[X4U] Mail Quits

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 15:50:40 PDT 2005

On 10 May2005, at 10:21 AM, Stroller wrote:

> I find that I usually put my Mac to sleep, and that if I log on
> from another machine many of the IMAP messages that I've "deleted"
> will still be visible, as Mail.app does its purging only when you
> choose to synchronise mail folders or exit Mail.app. Is it possible
> that POP3 messages are also cleared off the server at shutdown, and
> that you're not performing this?

        I just checked to see if this idea is correct.  It is not for
my setup, but it gave me another idea.

        I had just downloaded my mail a few minutes before reading
this.  I connected up again and checked webmail to see if message
were still on the server.  They were not.

         However, Stroller's idea led me to figure out something
else.  Mail downloads all messages first.  Then it goes back right
away and deletes from the server the messages it has just
downloaded.  If it gets interrupted for any reason, it does not
delete what's on the server.  Next time Mail goes to the server, it
deletes only what it downloads in that session, not anything else.
If anything gets missed, Mail seems to have no way to go back and
delete it.

     Every time Mail has failed to delete message from my server, it
has always been when it was interrupted for some reason.

     It could be that something is interrupting Mail on your
machine.  It could be that the connection is being shut down too
quickly.  It could be something within Mail itself.  It could be
something weird about your ISP that makes Mail think the connection
closed.

     Next time you download mail, open up the Mail activity viewer
window.  Watch after the download to see if it says that it is
deleting messages.

                                                 Peter