[X4U] Widget permission oddities

Scott McCulloch mylists at ascottmcculloch.com
Tue May 10 15:54:03 PDT 2005

In trying out Widget Manager I discovered an oddity that appears to
be related to the permissions of the widgets. Widget Manager will
allow you to activate/deactivate or trash any widget that it has
permission to, and all others will be greyed out. Well, on my mac,
all the widgets in /Library/Widgets are accessible, and ALL of the
widgets in ~/Library/Widgets are greyed out.

So, I checked the permissions of the widget files and found:
- the widgets in my ~/Library/Widgets folder all showed as being
owned by me, with read/write permission, group is staff with read
only, and other is read only
- the widgets in my /Library/Widgets folder are all owned by system
with read/write permissions, group is admin with read only, and other
is read only

When I delete a widget from the ~/Library/Widgets folder, I'm asked
for the Admin password before it sends the widget to the trash.
When I delete a widget from /Library/Widgets folder, it goes directly
to the trash.

Now I'm no expert, but this seems mighty odd to me... in fact, it
seems backwards. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Scott