[X4U] Tiger... why...

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu May 12 09:05:07 PDT 2005

At 6:10 AM -0700 5/12/05, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>At 2:41 PM -0700, 5/11/05, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>--- Why is there no way to turn off "features" that I find useless, and a
>>waste of resources such as "Dashboard" or "Expose".
>
>Is Exposé using up memory?

I don't know, is it?  My guess is it uses up some
amount of resources.  I also rather assume that
it's impossible to disable Expose.  I can live
with that, what I really want to disable is
Dashboard.

The point is that there should be a way to
disable these features that users consider
worthless, and I don't mean some weird hack, it
should be included with the base OS.

>>--- Why didn't it upgrade the developer tools
>>when I upgraded the OS?  I still have to figure
>>out how to do this.
>
>If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

Huh?  The Developer Tools are part of the base
OS, however, they're not installed by default.
The price therefore is my finding the time to get
the DVD back out and figure out how to install
them.

The Installer should have figured out that had
the Developer Tools installed, and asked if I
wanted to install them.  I'm fairly sure, they
aren't even an optional choice.

>>The upgrade cost me $320 (300MB HD and the OS itself).  I'd have been better
>>off just buying more RAM.  Which brings up another point, it's even more of
>>a memory hog, but at least it's better about freeing up virtual memory.
>
>Tiger cost me $2200 because my last computer
>didn't have FireWire. That was so unfair.

It sounds more like you were waiting on Tiger to
upgrade.  In my case I bought the hard drive so I
could easily back out of the Tiger upgrade if it
broke to many things.  Sure it's unfair to say
that the upgrade cost me $320, however, like I
said, I'd have been better off spending that
money on more RAM rather than 10.4.

Having said that, "Spotlight" did help me find a
MS Excel file last night, since it allowed me to
search for all Excel Workbook files.  Was it
faster than just going and looking for it?  I
quite honestly don't know about that.  I had to
wait while it went out to lunch on me, the
interface seems a bit of a mess.

		Zane