[X4U] Tiger... why...

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Wed May 11 18:35:15 PDT 2005

Tiger's 200 new features boil down to one for me: spotlight. I find
it very useful. Example: a student e-mails me and asks about his
grade, but doesn't tell me who he is. I have four classes and 350
students. I do a spotlight search for the students name and get all
my correspondence with that person, and the excel file with the
grades for that class.

I want to like Dashboard, but I don't end up using it. I think it's
just because the widgets need improvement. I live in Canada, so
forget yellow pages. The weather service is potentially interesting,
but the data doesn't seem very good and the six day forecast is too
small to see at a glance. Translation could be useful for me, but the
results are too basic. I could use a good stock tracker, but the
existing widget doesn't work visually for me, the data often can't be
found and it waits until you call dashboard to get the data. So I
have to wait. I end up checking weather and stocks on the web.

Otherwise not much has really changed for me.