[X4U] Widgets...

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sat May 14 04:53:41 PDT 2005

On 11 May2005, at 9:35 PM, Jim Freeman wrote:

> I want to like Dashboard, but I don't end up using it. I think it's
> just because the widgets need improvement. I live in Canada, so
> forget yellow pages. The weather service is potentially
> interesting, but the data doesn't seem very good and the six day
> forecast is too small to see at a glance. Translation could be
> useful for me, but the results are too basic. I could use a good
> stock tracker, but the existing widget doesn't work visually for
> me, the data often can't be found and it waits until you call
> dashboard to get the data. So I have to wait. I end up checking
> weather and stocks on the web.

     I found it interesting that a good many of the widgets only work
when one is on-line.  It seems that Apple (and probably the kid in
Redmond) is moving toward assuming that everyone is on-line all the
time.   How long before dial-up is a thing of the past?

     If this is truly the way things are going, it seems a sort of
digression.  At first people used workstations that connected to
giant computers.  Advent of the personal computer was considered a
revolution.  Now it seems that personal computers are devolving into
workstations for the internet.  Will it really come to that?  What
are the ramifications?  More control over who does what with their
computer?

                                                         Peter