[X4U] Tiger... why...

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu May 12 15:44:02 PDT 2005

>On 05/12/05, Stephen Lanza <slanza at swcomplement.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Apple seems to be forcing users to upgrade more than they expect with system
>>  upgrades. I myself will have to spend $300 to 'upgrade' Apple Remote
>>  Desktop' to v2.x because v1.x will not run in Tiger even though I don't need
>>  the v2.x features. Couple this with the policy where Apple does not discount
>>  their upgrade prices and you have a now disgruntled software buyer - me.
>>

>How? What mechanism did it use to force you to do what? Upgrade to Tiger?
>AFAIK, there are many doing well with OS 8&9, Puma, Jaguar, and Panther. I
>guess the Apple goons missed me. If you don't need ARD 2.x's features, how
>did they "make" upgrade to Tiger; thus, forcing ARD 2.x on you? If ARD 1.x
>runs on Panther, why did YOU choose to move to Tiger?

Maybe he wants to be able to run new software when it comes out.
Apple at least has a bad habit of requiring you to run the latest
"and greatest" version of their OS in order to run the Pro software
that they release.

They *claim* that with 10.4 they're freezing the programming API's
and that any changes will take place in the form of new API's rather
than changing existing ones.  *Hopefully* this means longer software
lifespans!

		Zane