[X4U] Thoughts on Spotlight?

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 23:01:11 PDT 2005

On 5/1/05 10:56 AM, Vince Lewis <vplewis at mac.com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2005, at 8:53 AM, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:

>>> This has been available since at least Jaguar. And I don't think it was ever
>>> available in <OS X--been a couple of years since I last looked at the
>>> Classic OS.
>>
>> The Multiple Item Info inspector window has been available in OS X. I'm
>> talking about the other version: having two Get Info windows appear
>> side-by-side. This is Classic Mac OS functionality that I have sorely missed
>> until now.
>>
> My mistake, sorry. Though as you probably know, you can get what you
> want by --"click-get info; click get info; etc" as many times as you
> need to. I don't have Tiger yet, but do you mean that you get a
> preference check box to decide either/or? What would be cool would be
> cmd-i; cmd-opt -i and cmd-shift-I.

No, you don't get a preference check box. What you get is a choice between
Command-I and Command-Option-I

The former is now reverted back to pre-OS X behavior, which gives you
individual Get Info windows for each item that are spatially arranged for
easy comparison.

The latter is the Multiple Item Info inspector which is what was introduced
in OS X. If you want to see a single Info window for less than 10 items, use
Command-Option-I.

What's also cool is that if you select more than 10 items and choose
Command-I, it will not open all the individual Get Info windows. It assumes
you wanted a single Get Info window and will give you that instead. Smart.

Command-Shift-I mounts your iDisk (if you have one) and follows the
convention of Command-Shift keyboard shortcuts that take you to a specified
place (Applications, Utilities, Home, etc.)

Eddie Hargreaves