[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Fri May 13 02:22:37 PDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 9:54, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Try it again in a blind test - rip a bunch of songs in different
> formats, set up a playlist in shuffle mode, then use the smart
> playlist to see what you're listening to afterwards. You may be
> surprised. Hearing is a cognitive action, and our brains influence
> what we hear, often just because of expectations.

I know the brain can trick you, I am finishing Mind Hacks right now,
but I don't agree that test is meaningful, because the quality of
recordings is not uniform.

For me the blind test would be: choose _one_ song with fine details,
rip it using several bit rates, and listen to them in shuffle mode.
After listening to a handful of tracks to let your hearing adjusts to
that particular recording, then try to assign a bit rate to each copy
in a session. You are allowed to review tracks.

If you hear the difference in shades and you can successfully _order_
the copies by quality, then in my opinion that's enough to be allowed
to assert you really perceive diffences.

-- fxn