[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 13 02:26:30 PDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 11:22 AM, Xavier Noria wrote:

> For me the blind test would be: choose _one_ song with fine
> details, rip it using several bit rates, and listen to them in
> shuffle mode. After listening to a handful of tracks to let your
> hearing adjusts to that particular recording, then try to assign a
> bit rate to each copy in a session. You are allowed to review tracks.

Yes, I did mean to use the same track in different bit rates, but
don't settle for just one track. You need a good selection of music
(that's why I said rip several tracks).

> If you hear the difference in shades and you can successfully
> _order_ the copies by quality, then in my opinion that's enough to
> be allowed to assert you really perceive diffences.

Yep. You can, for example, rate them as you listen, then go look at
the bit rates to see which you found to be better. Try it; you really
may be surprised. :-)

Kirk

           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
        Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France