[X4U] Re: Tiger: what happened to my printer?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri May 13 06:40:19 PDT 2005

I'm suspecting that my printing problems are more significant than just the
driver for my Phaser 4400. When I select the "Print" menu item from an
application, the beach ball spins for about 5 seconds before the print
dialog appears. That didn't happen before.

When I use Printer Setup Utility, it takes quite a while to load (this is on
a dual 1.8 GHz G5), and the checkbox for "in menu" for my printer is checked
but greyed out. When I select ANY menu item or icon in Printer Setup
Utility, my mouse action isn't responded to for a few seconds. Printer Setup
Utility is listed as V. 4.0 (157), copyright 2001-2004.

Printer Setup utility doesn't identify the driver version of any of my
printers, and for the IP printer (the Xerox Phaser) it doesn't recognize a
location, even if I remove and re-install the printer using Printer Setup
Utility and re-specify the IP address (which is a fixed IP on my LAN).

I did an "Upgrade" install.

Just to add to the misery, I just attempted to open my "Dymo Label"
application. It crashes on opening.

I've checked the Xerox website and couldn't find any updated drivers.

Does this update on my problem trigger any other suggestions?

Perhaps I need a magic bullet such as AppleJack?

Jim Robertson