[X4U] iSync in Tiger -

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri May 13 10:40:38 PDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Matthew Barr wrote:

> No.. but you do use a music app to sync your iPod.  And since you
> aren't really Syncing, but only downloading one way, it makes sense to
> do it all at once in iTunes.  It's also where they've established the
> pictures sync for iPod Photo.

I know its a personal preference, but I have to say it seems weird to
me. Its like saying the iPod and iTunes are two parts of a whole, while
I see them as two completely separate entities that work well together,
as well as working well with other apps and devices. Maybe iTunes
should be renamed iPodWare.

Bottom line is I would never have thought to go to iTunes to sync my
Address Book or my calendars.

> They've basically seperated the control logic for the various sync
> stuff to be connected to applications.  It does make some sense..

I'd say its more accurate to say they've linked the control logic for
any given device to a single piece of software. So if I want to sync my
Address Book, I don't use the Address Book app, I use the app
associated with the device I'm using (iTunes for iPod, .Mac for .mac).
And therein lies part of the problem IMO. If I want to sync my Address
Book, there are at least two different places for me to look.  BTW,
what app handles syncing to a cell phone (I still haven't been able to
load Tiger, so I can't look yet)?

Its really just a different way of grouping functions, it just seems a
lot less intuitive to me.

-Mike