[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Mon May 16 06:55:47 PDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 4:38 AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On May 16, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Steve Martin wrote:
>

>> I guess you didn't read what the original poster said...
>>
>> " At first, it would take about 30 minutes to import a 90-120
>> minute movie into iMovie, now it takes a couple of hours.  I am
>> thinking it is a fragmentation issue."
>>
>> For that type of application, he may very well be right and if it
>> cuts a couple of hours to 30 minutes, that would be a significant
>> performance gain.
>>

> Yes, I did. But that's not a problem due to fragmentation; at
> worst, fragmentation would add a few minutes to that time, not "a
> couple of hours". There's an easy way to find out: wipe the drive
> and try again.
>

> Kirk
>
>             Author of: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
>                -        -        -        -        -        -
>              Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
>           Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more
>       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France

If you intend to "defrag" a disk, best practices suggests that you
back it up first. At that point, you have a completely "defragged"
disk--the backup-- and another one that can be erased in about 30
seconds. Add in a simple disk restore operation and you now have two
"defragged" disks with the exact same data. No extra software, no
dangerous operations--this is the reason the guys at Alsoft dropped
their defragger, and it probaby took less time than the kludge.
Assumption: anyone doing much video with only one drive is needlessly
torturing themself. This looks like a perfect reason to figure out
"Automator."
ciao,
Vince