[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Mon May 16 06:59:09 PDT 2005

Kirk McElhearn <kirklists at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>On May 16, 2005, at 4:12 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:
>
>>  There were only two for Panther that I liked: SpeedDisk and
>  > iDefrag.  I don't know if SpeedDisk works with Tiger,
>  > certainly Norton Utilities will not be updated for use with
>>  Tiger.
>  >
>>  So that leaves iDefrag, which was a disaster when it was first
>  > released, but which, after steady refinement, is now the
>  > premier defragmentation utility for OS X:
>
>The real question is do you need to bother with defragmentation? IMO,
>no. You might want to simply wipe a format you use for video, as in
>the original post, from time to time, but other than that, it will
>give you only a tiny performance gain.
>
>Kirk

you're right, "defragging" is risky and a complete waste of time. get
a bigger drive and move on to important stuff. randy falls for a lot
of the marketing hype and often times suggests (googled) "solutions"
that are not only a waste of time, but sometimes dangerous (read:
anything and everything norton). he'll soon chime in with advice to
"visit my web page" and/or "my associates at tech tool beg to
differ"....and on and on...

don

don montalvo, nyc