[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 16 11:45:54 PDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 8:37 PM, Wayne Wilkin wrote:

> So if some users find defragin un necessary then how do you explain
> the mac os inability to keep with the 15% rule. Which states that
> in order for directory to be successfully rebuilt that the
> directory should have at least 15% of  the hard drive space
> continous free space. How many times have I gotten an error in
> diskwarrior stating that a fail safe rebuilding of the directory is
> not guaranteed because the drive is to framented. Which means to me
> that if the OS is doing it's job of defragin itself then this
> should not be a problem.

15%? That's something that's internal to DiskWarrior... That's a heck
of a lot of space.

FWIW, I have _never_ had disk corruption since journaled volumes have
been the norm.

Kirk

           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
        Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France