[X4U] Backing up with Disk Utility

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Tue May 17 19:05:52 PDT 2005

I'm glad it worked well for you.

Again to clarify, if you had built a disc image you would not have been
able to boot off THE IMAGE unless you had restored the image to a drive
partition then chose the partition as your startup.

Restoring/cloning a volume through Disk Utility seems to be also available
under 10.3. I stumbled across it the other day when I accidentally dropped
the destination volume in the Source tab and it accepted it. It lead me to
think that you could possible clone a partition rather than having to
create an image first - like CCC. Looking further at the Source field
description it suggests you can drop a DISK or image there - duhhh!

My first attempt at cloning didn't work - non bootable build - but later I
found there were other issues with the partition I was "cloning" to. I'll
take another stab soon.

Coj

Kevin Willis <res19rmg at verizon.net>

On May 17, 2005, at 8:28 PM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> Can you select the disc image or its mounted volume as the startup
> disc?
> No.
>
> But to clarify, the disc image (if built properly) can be restored
> to a
> drive partition and it will be bootable.
>
> Coj

I just used the Restore feature in Tiger to make a copy of my start
up disk on my empty 40 GB drive.  I was then able to select it in
System Preferences as the start up disk.  It started up fine and
seemed to work fine.

Thanks,

Kevin