[X4U] Backing up with Disk Utility

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Wed May 18 12:58:19 PDT 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 10:05 PM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> I'm glad it worked well for you.
>
> Again to clarify, if you had built a disc image you would not have
> been
> able to boot off THE IMAGE unless you had restored the image to a
> drive
> partition then chose the partition as your startup.
>
> Restoring/cloning a volume through Disk Utility seems to be also
> available
> under 10.3. I stumbled across it the other day when I accidentally
> dropped
> the destination volume in the Source tab and it accepted it. It
> lead me to
> think that you could possible clone a partition rather than having to
> create an image first - like CCC. Looking further at the Source field
> description it suggests you can drop a DISK or image there - duhhh!
>
> My first attempt at cloning didn't work - non bootable build - but
> later I
> found there were other issues with the partition I was "cloning"
> to. I'll
> take another stab soon.
>
> Coj

Before I "cloned" my system disk with Disk Utility, I tried to create
an image of it.  It kept saying that I couldn't create an image of
the drive because it is busy.  It was my first attempt at imaging,
but my thinking was that either you cannot create an image of the
active start up disk, or Dashboard may have been the open app. that
prevented it from working.  If that is the case, then Apple should
have included an "off" switch with Dashboard.

Thanks,

Kevin