[X4U] Backing up with Disk Utility

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Tue May 17 23:27:42 PDT 2005

Brett Conlon <brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au> wrote:

>Again to clarify, if you had built a disc image you would not have been
>able to boot off THE IMAGE unless you had restored the image to a drive
>partition then chose the partition as your startup.
>
>Restoring/cloning a volume through Disk Utility seems to be also available
>under 10.3. I stumbled across it the other day when I accidentally dropped
>the destination volume in the Source tab and it accepted it. It lead me to
>think that you could possible clone a partition rather than having to
>create an image first - like CCC. Looking further at the Source field
>description it suggests you can drop a DISK or image there - duhhh!
>
>My first attempt at cloning didn't work - non bootable build - but later I
>found there were other issues with the partition I was "cloning" to. I'll
>take another stab soon.
>
>Coj

i know you manage a bunch of macs. if you need to make bootable
images, take a look at netrestore:

	http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html

ccc took a back seat as soon as netrestore hit the scene. block copy
instead of file copy, etc. netrestore follows asr procedure (man asr)
so you can restore to a different computer.

don