[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Tue May 17 23:12:23 PDT 2005

Robert Ameeti <Robert at Ameeti.net> wrote:

>At 9:32 PM -0400, 5/16/05, Kevin Willis wrote:
>
>>Right now, I have used about 77 GB of a 120 GB drive.  It changes
>>from day to day.  As I burn disks, I erase the burned files.  I also
>>record some TV shows over night.
>>
>>Defragging didn't help with the performance.  I reckon I will try to
>>burn the rest of the files, then erase the disk to see if that
>>helps.  I have Tiger installed on another 120 GB drive, but I don't
>>really want to put that drive through what I am doing to the other
>>drive.  I also have a 40 GB drive that has my old Panther system on
>>it.  I might erase it and use it to hold some of the files.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Kevin
>
>My local Fry's electronics store has a Seagate 160 GB hard drive for
>$54.99 after mail-in rebate. How can this not be a good answer to
>the problem? Personally I'd rather have an extra drive for backup
>and defrag than a $30 piece of software that MAY fix the problem.

experienced sysadmins have an easier time understanding why defrag
"utilities" are a bogus...a farce...snake-oil...hardly a solution.
what miniscule effect defrag "utilities" may have won't
last...fragmentation begins as soon as you restart.

	<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snake%20oil>

;)
don