[X4U] Another question about cloning

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed May 18 17:47:34 PDT 2005

On 05/18/05, Kevin Willis <res19rmg at verizon.net> wrote:

> I used the restore tab in Disk Utility to make a copy of my start up
> drive.  However, I noticed that the sizes differ.  My original is
> 24.07 GB, the copy is 23.76 GB.  I also noticed that the copy has
> some extra folders in it.  They are  /dev /etc /tmp /var.  What are
> these?

Can't explain the size difference, unless diskutil, the underlying machine
for Disk Utility, is not transferring temporary and cache files, because it
knows that they'll be rebuilt upon startup.

Apparently, there's a bug in diskutil that deselects the invisibility bit
for those directories. They exist at the root-level of every volume housing
a Mac OS X installation. Open the Terminal and type in this to see them:

ls -al /