[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Wed May 18 18:47:48 PDT 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 7:05 PM, Frank Isackson wrote:

> On May 18, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:
>
>> Please explain to me how MiniDV is compressed more than DVD.
>
> One can find some words on the subject of DV and other tape formats at
>
> http://www.transferwest.com/dv.htm
>
> What should be noted is that DVD's as far as I know have no 'native'
> format; the extent of the compression (and the information lost)
> depends on the input to the burner: MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 vs...

Of course bit rates can change in MPEG2, that was not the debate.
However, I do believe that 9Mb/sec is the max that most consumer DVD
players can handle, would you agree? 9Mb/sec is roughly 1MB/sec
~=60MB/min. How does that compare to DV at ~215MB/min?

MPEG4 DVD's? Can you point me to a title for sale somewhere? Can you
point me to a DVD player that will play MPEG4 DVD's?

Don't tell me about what's coming in the future.

Someone prove me wrong here and I'll shut up.
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com