[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Frank Isackson fisackson at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 21:26:58 PDT 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 6:47 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> Of course bit rates can change in MPEG2, that was not the debate.
> However, I do believe that 9Mb/sec is the max that most consumer
> DVD players can handle, would you agree? 9Mb/sec is roughly 1MB/sec
> ~=60MB/min. How does that compare to DV at ~215MB/min?
>
> MPEG4 DVD's? Can you point me to a title for sale somewhere? Can
> you point me to a DVD player that will play MPEG4 DVD's?

I believe my remarks have been misinterpreted. I only meant to
suggest to the original questioner that there were options available
to convert his film to tape and in turn convert that to DVD but some
(probably) tolerable loss might ensue.

I cannot point to MPEG-4 DVDs for sale but I suspect as soon as the
demand for HD is indisputable, then American stores will be full of
them. As for DVD players that can handle this format: the Phillips
DVP642 and the Coby DVD626 certainly can for about $60.00US and much
more can be spent (and will be).

I'm sorry that my words have muddied the (compressed) picture.

Frank Isackson