[X4U] Another question about cloning

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed May 18 20:33:47 PDT 2005

On 05/18/05, Alex <lists at lexial.ca> wrote:
> On May 18, 2005, at 20:47, John Baltutis wrote:
>
>> [...] Can't explain the size difference, unless diskutil, the underlying
>>machine
>> for Disk Utility, is not transferring temporary and cache files,
>> because it knows that they'll be rebuilt upon startup.[...]
>
> I assume "diskutil" is a typo for "hdiutil"; diskutil is used to check
> and repair local disks, while hdiutil is used to create and manipulate
> disk images. By default, when the source is the root of a volume,
> hdiutil scrubs the target image (skips temp files).

You're correct. The disk and permissions repair and disk formatting in Disk
Utility uses diskutil. I forgot that, when disk copy was rolled into DU, it
uses hdiutil for managing the images. Thanks for bringing that back to
light. Also, as another poster pointed out, add the swap files to the list
of things probably not copied.