[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Ben Gold bgold at acedsl.com
Thu May 19 06:29:25 PDT 2005

>> Please explain to me how MiniDV is compressed more than DVD.

It's not.  It's compressed far less.

It's also a bit of apples and oranges.  DVD is not a recording
format, DV & miniDV are.

DV is, I forget my terminology here forgive me, compressed frame-by-
frame, while DVD is compressed over time.

Mpeg (DVD) will compress different shots differently.  A 10 minute
still shot of a vase of flowers will take far less data than the
opening 10 minutes of Private Ryan.   And often the flower vase shot
will look dramatically better.

DV & miniDV will take the same amount of data for either shot, it
will still record 30 frames a second for the duration of the shot.
As it will for the battle scene.  It's a flat rate compression, as
opposed to DVD which is variable.   Which means there are no motion
artifacts  or pixelization due to too much data in each frame.

At least as far as I've seen.  I've mostly worked with DV, not
miniDV.  But every time I've seen miniDV it just appears to be lower
resolution – no artifacts ala DVD.

-Ben