[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Thu May 19 07:10:59 PDT 2005

On Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 08:48AM, Craig A. Finseth <fin at finseth.com> wrote:

>   Forgive me, I'm not trying to start an argument =96 but that makes no =20=
>
>   sense.  The DVD can't make your VHS tapes look better.
>
>   They were 325 lines of resolution when you gave them to the DVD =20
>   transfer place, and now they're compressed 325 lines of resolution.  =20
>   They can only be lower res, not higher.  It just looks better because =20=
>
>   they probably had a high-quality VHS player and a time-based-=20
>   corrector, etc.
>
>100% correct.  And most consumer VCRs -- the ones I use to watch the
>tapes at home with -- are junk, giving much less than the resolution
>recorded on the tape.
>
>For my purposes, the VHS -> DVD transfer was by far the best way to
>go.  But I only rarely watch them and I don't see ever going back and
>editing them.
>
>OTOH, if quality is your only criteria, there's lots of good pro stuff
>out there in the $100,000 range.

This has now gotten off topic as the original poster was asking about 8mm film being digitized. Not VHS tape.

So, has anyone really successfully disputed my initial advice to go to miniDV tape instead of directly to DVD?

Besides Brett who had the excellent recommendation of going direct to HD. Yet, the telecine house is probably still using a DV camera and whether it is written to tape or hard drive, DV is DV.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com