[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Thu May 19 06:48:29 PDT 2005

   Forgive me, I'm not trying to start an argument =96 but that makes no =20=

   sense.  The DVD can't make your VHS tapes look better.

   They were 325 lines of resolution when you gave them to the DVD =20
   transfer place, and now they're compressed 325 lines of resolution.  =20
   They can only be lower res, not higher.  It just looks better because =20=

   they probably had a high-quality VHS player and a time-based-=20
   corrector, etc.

100% correct.  And most consumer VCRs -- the ones I use to watch the
tapes at home with -- are junk, giving much less than the resolution
recorded on the tape.

For my purposes, the VHS -> DVD transfer was by far the best way to
go.  But I only rarely watch them and I don't see ever going back and
editing them.

OTOH, if quality is your only criteria, there's lots of good pro stuff
out there in the $100,000 range.

Craig